Sunday, September 25, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) ***


Director: Joe Jhonston

Cast:







Rating: PG-13

Run time: 2hr. 1min.
I have never been a big fan of Captain America, the comics were too corny for my taste…I mean a man calling himself captain America... really? What about the rest of us who are not Americans we like neutral heroes: like batman (now that’s a hero) even superman (though he never had to work to get his abilities, but what the heck, at least he had international appeal… right?)
So as we all know the superhero movie genre is cooking something big… from Hulk to Iron Man and now Captain America (The Avengers…yaay!!). I am grateful to Marvel Cinematic Universe for these wonderful releases!
With that said, if you are a marvel fan… you would definitely watch Captain America and if you are not and are looking for a decent comic book action or just plain sci-fi action you should go for it. I wouldn’t call the movie a spectacular watch, and I wouldn’t blame the actors or the production team for it… it’s just that captain America is lame so, they made the most of what they had.
His origin is nicely done, Evans as a scrawny captain Rogers is very believable. That’s where the story begins. Rogers wants to enlist and go to war, he can’t because he’s like I said scrawny, so instead he signs up for a science project (Howard Stark Howard Stark!! Excuse me I am a bit of a comic book enthusiast), becomes a super hero and bashes some Nazi ass. At the end of the movie Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) makes an appearance, which for me was the highlight of the movie.
Tommy Lee and Hugo Weavings give an amazing performance, the action scenes are fun to watch, all in all its an ok watch and a very realistic period piece, although I do have one reservation, I mean Chris Evans does an ok job, but I still wonder if he was the casting teams first choice, at times he looks like a clown, zero charisma. May be that’s the reason it couldn’t up one Thor.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your comment here....